A very Happy Monday to you all!
It’s an exciting day today for our sister site Make it in Design as we welcome both new & previous students to the start of our community & new round of classes!
Module 1: Designing Your Way is a fantastic introduction to the surface pattern design industry & helps YOU to find your passion, personal style & place within it.
Whether you’re just starting out or are looking to refresh your skills, this is the start of a very exciting journey with new friends in preparation for a successful surface pattern career.
The course includes:
- How & where to seek out design inspiration
- How to work with colour
- How to create moodboards
- How to build a pattern
- How to develop your signature style & use this to brand your business
- How to turn elements of a mixed media painting into a pattern (featuring the work of Kelly Rae Roberts)
- How to create repeats in Adobe Illustrator
- Time-saving tricks * industry insider tips
- The secrets of successful surface pattern designers
- Downloadable pattern source guide
PLUS *NEW* BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guide to scanning images & basic manipulation in Photoshop and Illustrator, playing with colour & sketching and creating repeats on your computer. See the whole list on the Technical Workshops page.
Module 3: Monetising your designs is a five week online course where you will learn everything you need to know to monetise your designs!
The course includes freelancing, licensing, selling outright, manufacturing & more! Module 3 includes free access to leading trend forecasting site WGSN live briefs from real companies & our little black book of industry contacts!
It includes the following:
- How to identify multiple streams of income for your designs
- How to sell & license your designs (what they don’t teach you at art school)
- The ins & outs of freelancing
- How to get into manufacturing your own product
- How to choose the right distribution channel for you
- How to negotiate a contract that is right for you
- How not to get ripped off
- How to manage your time & money
- How to manage stock levels
- How to get a job in design
- How to stay motivated
- How to create a pattern portfolio to show to potential clients
- How to apply patterns to mock up product templates & room sets
- How to turn a placement print into a technical repeat for wallpaper or fabric
- Everything you need to know about getting in, getting ready & attracting customers at trade shows
- How to design a Trade Show Brochure in Adobe Illustrator
- Invaluable industry info such as colour print specifications for both paper goods & textiles
You will do this by actually creating a mini portfolio for potential licensing clients, a trade show plan & a business development plan.
PLUS *NEW* BONUS TECHNICAL WORKSHOP VIDEOS giving you a step-by-step guides to surface pattern design using Photoshop & Illustrator. Find out more on our Technical Workshops page.
Classes are officially underway BUT there’s still time to register to get in on the fun & join one of the most encouraging & supportive design communities in the world! (Registration closes Thursday September 29, 2016). Have a great week & we hope to see you in class!